Monday, March 2, 2015

Autism and Legos should be partners...

Or should I say, Fragile X and LEGOS should be partners?

(I guess that depends on the audience who is reading this.)

So I thought it was just my daughter who was obsessed with LEGOS because of her Fragile X Syndrome and Autistic Spectrum Disorder causing things like Obsessive Compulsive Behavior or perseveration or attention to details to keep her life in order, but I was wrong.

All kids love LEGOS.

Yes, I know that.

But, almost any parent on earth who has a child who has some Autism-related struggle knows all about LEGOS and the obsession they have created for our children.

I can't tell you exactly what it is.

They just are drawn to LEGOS.

Brother, who doesn't have as many Autistic tendencies as Sister and Baby do, has never really been into LEGOS so much.

I don't really like LEGOS because my feet and my vacuum have a unhappy relationship with them. I have learned to shuffle while in Sister's room though.

When we started having Sister see a therapist I was worried she wouldn't do well...

until he showed her his collection of LEGOS!

It was instant admiration and friendship.

Ben (her therapist) has been able to connect with her because of the LEGOS he has.

One of the coolest things he's done for her (and others like her) is utilized LEGOS to help them identify the feelings they are feeling.

I was so impressed by this idea, kicked myself for not thinking of it myself, and then asked him if I could put it up on my blog so that others had access to it!

Voila!

He said yes and sent me the files!

Happy to Angry faces in transition

Happy to scared faces in transition


Please just make sure, if you use them, to keep his name on them.

I just think it is a great idea and I am so glad that he is willing to share his creativity.

That's my UP today—another useful tool in our home for our kids.

0 remarks: