Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Don't Pray for Patience

I don't remember if it was something said in passing or something said just being funny while talking about trials and such, but I remember some one said to me once, "Have you noticed if you pray for patience you get nothing but trials that try your patience. If you want to learn patience, don't pray for it."

We all laughed so hard because it seemed so true.

You know how it is, you try not to think about the scary part in the movie but it keeps popping in your head.

Or the song that you hate that you keep singing in your head because it won't leave.

So why did I decide to make a goal of finding an "up" for every day of this year?

Ha!

I don't know, but this game is going to be a fun challenge!

When you have to go to your child's school to pick her up for a doctors appointment, most parents don't think they will literally be picking her up. I went to Sister's school, walked with her teacher to find her at the lunch room and she immediately fell to pieces and slithered down the wall into a pile on the floor. I tried to coerce her. It didn't work. So I grabbed her in my arms, picked her up and carried her out to the car while she whimpered and whined and screamed.

The whimpers did not stop for the entire 15 minute drive to the doctor's office, and certainly didn't subside in the waiting room during the 15 minutes it took me to fill out the questionnaire and escalated when the doctor came to show us to his office.

Then (we'll call him Ben) asked what kind of toys she liked and I answered for her because her mouth was full of whining, "Legos."

"What kind?"

"Marvel."

And he came in with a box of super hero Lego mini figures.

Her sorrow turned to pure joy and the bond was made.

The appointment went well after that and we even got done soon enough for her get back to school for a bit. That made her happy too.

Then we were off to her second appointment. She wasn't happy about this either but with a lot of redirecting and changing the subject, I was able to get her to be fairly calm for the 25 minute drive there.

I was so happy with how well she behaved while the nurse weighed her (58.8 pounds!) and measured her (forgot the height, but she had a HUGE growth spurt on the chart) and checked her eye sight.

She was staying so positive that I just had to take a picture.

It was a huge deal that she was doing so well through 2 appointments taking her out of her routine.

After we were done she got rewarded and we got Taco Bell for dinner for the family. She was very proud of that.

Then Brother and I were off to Mutual at the church and I was in charge of that activity because I was the dumb one who volunteered. (sheepish smile)

We had a bunch of props and we split up into 4 teams and each team had 15 minutes to come up with a one minute skit to present to every one that was supposed to be on the new Mutual Theme for 2015.

I have to say I, at least, thought it was a riot! It was so fun to see the creativity of the youth!

I took pictures of each group getting ready.






I loved it!

It cheered me up!

I was especially pleased to see Brother even get involved. He made me laugh. His little sense of humor just pops out sometimes and I love that he has that. I was just so proud of him for getting up there, and I was so proud to see the group he was with involve him and take care of him.

So, ya, I'm overwhelmed, tired and I feel like I am coming down with something, but I laughed.

I laughed a lot.

Maybe that is the solution... pray for laughter and then you'll get all kinds of things that come your way that make you laugh often.

Day 7 of 365 days of Up

2 remarks:

vickit43 said...

I have to agree that praying for patience does seem to bring on more trials. I like to the idea of praying for laughter. I hope that you are not getting sick. I am having trouble keeping up with my 10000 steps a day. I walked a blister on my foot and I am feeling lazy today. Oh well.

Rachael said...

vickit43 don't give up on your 10000! I'll keep going if you do ;)