Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm Amazed by You.

That's the song (listen to it here) I am listening to right now. It seemed the perfect title for this post.


I just got done downloading pictures of my my kids and all the cute things they have been up to.


How can I not be amazed?


Heavenly Father sent us these children.


To us.


Not because we, as parents, are amazing, but because our children are amazing and he knew we would have so much to learn from them.


It is so interesting how a person can feel so depressed and still have a heart so full of gratitude.


I was talking to a friend the other night about "closet depression." I had never heard the term before but I loved it so I am using it. There are many of us out there fighting off the blues or even, heaven forbid, depression.


No one wants to talk about it much.


It means that there is something wrong.


So we keep it in the closet and wear our happy faces instead.


Is it OK that we do this? Hide our feelings.


Well, let's look at it this way. If we always look and act depressed no one wants to be in our company. If we always look and act depressed a darkness seems to weigh us down further.

Is there something to be said about wearing a smile?

Yes.

Is it always easy to smile when inside your soul is down?

No.

Is it worth it?

Yes.


Now don't go thinking that I am saying to cover up everything you feel. Depression is real and needs help. Whether it is medication, therapy, long walks, talking or all the above, those who are struggling with depression need to treat it like they would any sickness. Take care of it. Don't ignore it. It won't go away without help. So let me explain it this way. Your mind has a lot of power over matter, right? If you continue to tell yourself you are sick, then, most likely, you will be sick. Crazy how it works. So if you wallow in your self-misery and wallow in your pain it gets worse no matter how much medicine or rest you take.


I know.


I've been there.


I am often there.


But, with a smile on my face, the blinds open to let in the sunshine, kneeling at my bedside in prayer, and keeping my mind on my blessings I can leave my dark cloud for a time and feel better about me.


Example:

If you constantly tell a child they are nothing, are worth nothing, will be nothing and never do anything right, they will follow the path that was laid out for them and go on thinking they are nothing.



If we praise them, lift them when they are down,  encourage them, strengthen them with compliments and admiration they will follow a much happier path.



So why is it, that when we feel depressed we continue to tell ourselves how depressed we are and how awful our life is? We have to find a will and a strength to help pull ourselves out of it.


I am amazed by all of you in my life who have overcome hardships and trials. I am amazed by all of you who take life in stride and keep a positive outlook.


I'm amazed by you,
the teachers,
the parents,
the leaders,
the workers, 
the friends 
and the family
who are all an inspiration in my life to keep a smile on my face.


So here are some pictures of what has kept me smiling these last few days:
Brother and Sister LOVE to draw. This was on a school morning before getting ready. Sister drew me a monster so Brother had to draw one too.

I am so excited and thrilled and happy that my kids can draw. What a blessing it is. I mean, just the fact that Sister put the mouth and eyes in the right place is so awesome!!!

Sister was so excited about the praise I was giving her for her monster drawing that she decided to impress me by drawing a picture of me! Those are flowers in my hair! Aw. I loved it! And she is learning to write letters. I don't know what that is supposed to spell... maybe mommy...

Brother had to go down to his room to get the inspiration for his panda drawing. Bless his heart.
And this picture... I didn't even take it. Neither did Marc. Our babysitter did. Ya, apparently Brother had spent some time lining up hundreds of smarties leading from our bedroom closet, down the hall and to the stairs leading to his iPod. I don't know why he did this but, I get such a kick out of the fact that he did it. And I am so happy that his babysitter thought to take a picture... I should have given him tip... I wonder if he likes smarties?
Hee hee!
He doesn't realize that dad is taking his picture through our bedroom window.
My heart soars to see Baby love books so much. I am sure it was Sister who taught her how wonderful books can be. She is even holding it right side up.
I love that my daughters are starting to play together. Sister has such an imagination and I hope that Baby learns that from her too.
Here's Brother working as hard as he can to blow up this balloon. Quite a task for him considering the low muscle tone in his facial muscles. Made me smile this morning.
To my kids, "I am amazed by you."


To my husband, "Ditto."


I can make it through each day knowing how amazing God is that he gave me so many people and things to find pure joy and gratitude in. I hope and pray we all do the same. I hope this little post may be an inspiration to any of those who may be down to smile again and let the sunshine in.

4 remarks:

Anonymous said...

When I read this, it reminded me of you so much.
"Clearly, those of us who have been entrusted with precious children have been given a sacred, noble stewardship, for we are the ones God has appointed to encircle today's children with love and the fire of faith and an understanding of who they are" (M. Russell Ballard, Ensign, April 1994)

You and your children are amazing :)

Julie said...

Thank you for teaching all of us to always look at the bright side, and find the positive in each situation, not matter how hard the situation is!

candace said...

Well, "That dang Rachael" (a loving name given to her that has meaning, for those who read this) Anyway, I am totally AMAZED BY YOU! Don't sell yourself short. You are an amazing wife, mother, daughter, aunt and friend. etc.

Staci said...

Thanks for being an inspiration. I always feel blue in the winter. I NEED sunshine. Reading your post and seeing your pics of your cute kiddos made me smile!