Friday, January 14, 2011

Autism vs. Fragile X

So I had the opportunity yesterday to go and talk to parents of children with austism.

A good friend of mine works for the school district and asked me to come talk to some parents about Fragile X Syndrome.

I was a little intimidated because I didn't want these parents to feel like I was telling them a bunch of stuff they already knew.

Luckily, I was well received and I believe I taught them some things... it is always surprising to me the reality of the fact that so many people don't know what Fragile X Syndrome is.

I feel like it is my responsibility to know everything I possibly can about FXS, not just for my children's sake, but for everyone else out there too.

I fear that there are many children and adults out there diagnosed with autism that may actually have Fragile X Syndrome. I mean, lets look at the newest facts they are finding about Autism:
-It can be hereditary
-It has spectrum disorders like ASD (Autsim Spectrum Disorder), Asberger's Syndrome, and some even get the diagnosis of having autistic tendencies.
-It happens more often in males
-Stimming issues
-hand flapping
-poor eye contact
-perseverative speech
-anxiety

Now here is Fragile X Syndrome:
-It IS hereditary
-It is a spectrum disorder—so there are varying degrees of ability
-It happens more often in males
-Stimming issues
-hand flapping
-poor eye contact
-perseverative speech
-anxiety
-a person can have Fragile X Syndrome AND Autism

So you can see/understand my concern when families show familial signs of austism and never receive a blood test for FXS.

I guess that is one of the reasons I try to get the word out about FXS because it does make a difference in treating our children and in how we react to their frustrations. Not to mention how important it is to find out if it is Fragile X Syndrome because of all the Fragile X Associated Disorders (FXAD). FXS affects families and really does need to be known in order to help everyone involved.

If you know someone with Autism encourage them to learn more about Fragile X Syndrome.

0 remarks: