Monday, October 27, 2008

Puzzles Last Stand..

My horse, Puzzled Look (Puzzle for short), died last night. It was a sudden thing this weekend. Marc and I were up with her all night Saturday night and we thought she was doing better Sunday but then she quickly took a turn for the worse. The vet said there was nothing we could do to fix it and nothing we could have done to prevent it. She died from what is called a "twisted gut" or "collic." This is the #1 killer of horses. It was sad and I cried pretty hard for a while. And I still get teary eyed thinking about my kids missing her. It is tough because this is the second horse we have lost this year. I put together a slide show of a few moments from the last 5 years. It is strange that we get so attached to animals but Puzzle was such a great horse. She loved going for rides and actually got excited when the trailer pulled up. She was so good to let the kids ride her anytime and took good care of them while they were on. And thank you to all the friends and neighbors who helped us out this weekend with all that we needed to do.

8 remarks:

Julie said...

Marc and Rachael,
We are so sorry to hear that Puzzle died. We know how much you loved her. You definitely made her life better, too.
Rick, Julie, Sydney, Micah, and Christian

Annie Valerio said...

Oh that slide show was sad!!! I feel so bad that you guys had to go through this again. You guys take care of your horses and are so much better horse people than we are. I love Zane to death but I have neglected her since I had Ryder. I am embarassed for you guys to see her feet I need to get someone out to see her. I do love her and would be upset if anything ever happened to her. I hope your kids took the news okay, you were pretty worried about that. Let us know if you need anything even if it's at 2 in the morning. ( I remember doing that with you guys when our house flooded that yr LOL. Wow this is a novel. Take care and I am so sorry I will miss watching Puzzle from my window!!

julianne orth said...

sorry to hear about your horse. we had a dog die last year suddenly from parvo, and I am not really an animal lover so it surprised me how hard it was on me for the vet to put him down, so I can only imagine how sad it is to lose an animal you really love. It sounds like he was a good horse though, that is too bad.

Natty + Tacia said...

I am sorry to hear about your horse, animals really do touch us in unexpected ways.

brookiebaby said...

i don't think it's strange at all that you got so attached to your horse! Animals become a part of your family, especially when they are kind to your kids, and your kids feel like they are a part of the family! I dread that day with my doggie, because he's been like a baby to me! I hope that you are doing better soon! Lots of love to you guys!!!

Rochelle said...

So sorry to hear about your horse. The slide show was very sweet...

Kirsten said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe I didn't hear about this sooner! That's so sad. I'm sorry. That's rough-the second one this year. I wish you all the best

wendy said...

I love the slide show. It moved me to tears. AGAIN! I think I'll keep my blinds closed today.