Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mosiah

So we have this goal of reading scriptures and saying prayers as a family at night before bed. It hasn't gotten too regular yet. But last night I was getting 8 into bed, everyone else was outside socializing with neighbors so 8 and I had our own private session of scriptures and prayers. 8 pulled out his scriptures and said he was going to read from Mosiah.

Now let me give you a little background on 8. He can't read very well, he is at a Kindergarten/1 st Grade reading level and really is struggling even with that. His primary teachers at church have helped him recognize some of the names in the Book of Mormon. Bless their hearts. Mosiah is one of 8's favorite books--don't know why.

OK, so the only words that 8 can read on his own in the Book of Mormon are the simple ones: the, and, it, they, etc. Well, he told me what verses to read in the 1st chapter. I read them with my finger following the words and he would "read" with me. (Really he was just mumbling along pretending like he knew what he was doing.) But there were 3 or 4 times that it said "commandments/mysteries/hand of God" and he would pipe right up on those lines--it was so sweet. I love that he is trying to read the Book of Mormon and that he has such an excitement about it. How sweet!

0 remarks: