Saturday, February 28, 2009

Random things before I leave to DC

OK, so here are some random thoughts--you know me--random is my maiden name!

Anyway, did you know that when your child has FXS there is a lot of anxiety that goes with it (as I know with a lot of kids--anyway). 9 got some brand new shoes on Thursday night. He didn't wear them on Friday to school because they were too new and he didn't know what to think. Then on Saturday when we went to the desert he was very excited to show off his new shoes. In the middle of climbing he threw a tantrum about his shoes being too slippery on the rocks and threw his shoes on the ground and hopped into the car. When he noticed that it wasn't very fun to sit in the car he put his shoes back on and played some more--this time, no complaints. Then Sunday, he wore his church shoes to church and then wore his old blue shoes to grandmas. I asked him why he didn't wear his new gray ones and he said he couldn't find them (typical). So I didn't give much thought to it. Monday we still could not find the shoes so we sent him to school upset and disappointed to be wearing, again, his old blue shoes. After he left for school 3 woke up because she heard the garbage truck and wanted to come watch it. When the garbage truck came I got a weird feeling like I had forgotten something--weird, yes, but not so weird when, finally, after hours of the family looking for 9's shoes, that we get him to admit that he was mad at his shoes for being slippery on the rocks on Saturday so he threw them in the garbage can. I guess he thought that I knew he had thrown them away and thought I had fished them out. So much for that. But, he has now learned his lesson, "Don't throw things away without telling mommy or daddy first." And I have learned to always check the garbage can before it goes out Monday morning.

I also learned not to cut string with really sharp scissors and not pay attention to my finger position. I actually laughed out loud as I cut the tip of my finger instead of the thread--what the heck! I mean really--did it take watching my skin squeeze through the scissors to realize that I had missed the thread??!! Ha!! Man! Only me!






And last but, not least, what is it with the word "like" for teenagers and earlier 20-ers! I mean, seriously. I guess it wouldn't bug me so bad if I could like actually understand like what the heck the were like really like saying. Because like, it becomes so like hard to like understand it all in between the like likes. Not to mention that 3 now talks that way! It's actually cute and funny though, because it makes me realize how closely she watches her siblings and helps them to see what true examples they are to her. So we are working on proper english around here. Because like, I mean like, really, we should like, learn how to speak...

OK, so I am leaving Monday for DC. I am so excited--mostly for the Smithsonian. I want to take tons of pictures. I even get to tour the capitol. I am so excited. Woo hoo! This is my second time ever flying! Remember last year when I was flying for the first time ever! Ya, I hope this time is as great as the last! I will definitely update when I get home. Feel free to offer help to Marc while I am gone--he may need it. Who knows! And Kendra and Julie, you may be getting a call from my mom or Marc if 9 misses the bus--so be ready to be on call. Wendy, don't forget 3! (smile) And Jessie and Tynelle just check in on them every so often and make sure all is well and make sure mom doesn't forget to come on Wednesday and Thursday! I have never left all my kids during school for this long--I am not sure how 9 will do with his homework--he won't do it with anyone else but me. And 3 won't let anyone change her or do her hair but me. I am hoping that while I am gone--they will realize that they need to rely on everyone else.

You know it is times like this that I realize Heavenly Father has his hand in everything. That I am so blessed to have all these friends and family around me that I can rely on. Not everyone has that--but, thank heaven that I do. Also, thank you to all those who are willing to volunteer to help me with our seminar on Fragile X!! I will be contacting you!

3 remarks:

Kirsten said...

Rachael I'm going to miss you! (I mean, not that I see you often anyway, but it's just the thought of you being so far away!) This is so exciting. I can't believe all that you do. I liked playing mom for you last spring break, but it was tough, so good luck everyone! Hee hee.
I like say like cuz like it just fits when I like don't have enough vocabulary in my brain to like really like, I don't know, like explain like what I mean...like. Ha, I'm better because I notice when others do it every other word. It's annoying.
Love ya!

Rochelle said...

Wow good luck and have fun!! I love DC, I need to go back again. I hope you have like a really cool time!!!

Joe said...

The tenniis shoes story was worth reading, wish you a lot of luck on your trip. For someone who has lived in or stayed in more than 26 countries, learning languages, working, etc., I thought I would want to travel forever. Now I just enjoy being with my kids or Rosanne. But DC sounds fun, when you get back tell me if it's 80% black, anyway let us know what you visit, and how it went. I admire you and your family much more than you could imagine, and enjoy your posts. Take care, Joe

(take off "word verification" lol )