Saturday, May 10, 2014

Come With Me to Austria - Day 2 Part 1

Our second day in Austria was quite royal...

literally.

After a breakfast of bagels, croissants, bread and jam we headed out at 11am to check out the Schonbrunn Castle.



There was an Easter Festival going on outside the castle on the grounds where vendors were selling goods and food. There were even giant eggs to take pictures by...




The Schonbrunn Castle was the castle where Queen Sisi, mother of Marie Antoinette, lived.

This was actually their summer castle...



I can't imaging having a "summer castle."

We were able to go inside because we actually took the inside tour of the castle and were taken through 22 rooms (about half of the castle). It was very intriguing to learn that there was vainness even way back then when I heard about Queen Sisi skipping family meals in order to keep her slim figure and how long it took to do her ankle-length hair... Vanity knows no boundary apparently...

My favorite room was the music room that was where Mozart played for the the royal family at the age of only 6 years old! It gave me chills walking through the very room that a legendary artist had performed. It was even said that Queen Sisi wanted him to play more.

After the castle tour inside we headed out to the gardens.

The gardens were beautiful too!




This little pigeon was following me for quite a while, but when I went to take a picture of my newfound pet, he got shy...

Here's your sign...

Marc wasn't too happy about me making him pose like the statue

I took this picture because the trees looked so amazing all limbed-up to the same height.




After going through the gardens we continued on up to see the waterfalls and cafe up on the hill.


Nothing like a naked guy riding a seahorse to remind you that you're in Europe... Don't worry, he's strategically covered...
You're checking aren't you... shame on you... hee hee!


The girl to my right seems to be picking her nose... won't she feel silly when she sees this post....

Maria HATED having her picture taken and made sure to let us know or avoid it if at all possible.
This is her saying, "Nein!" (German for "no")





I had to get a picture of the horses and the train for Brother to see.







I love how this one turned out.



We then headed up the hill to the cafe at the top. We didn't buy and think to eat, just to drink.

Drink.

That brings me to one point that was a little "off" for me and that was that they do not do ice in Austria and Germany. I had ordered a veggie fruit drink, but I forgot to request ICE. My drink was not a good idea to have at room temperature.

Anyway, here's some more pics.

Are you surprised?






Ya. He's a tough guy.


It was such a beautiful place to just sit out on the patio of the café and chat and laugh together.

OK, I am really tired again, already, so I guess I'll have to tell you more about the 2nd day later.

But, before I sign off, I want to wish  everyone a Happy Mothers Day!

I even have a a sidewalk chalk drawing for you too!

The neighborhood kids, Baby and Sister helped me with the solid background and then I hurried up and added the details before the wind because to freeze me to the cement.




0 remarks: