Sunday, February 28, 2010

8.8

Marc left on a horse ride at 6:30am Saturday morning. I was enjoying sleeping in until at 8am sharp I got a phone call from a good friend of mine. Her voice was shaky and you could tell she was quite upset, "Rachael, I just got a text from my friend in Chile telling me that there was a huge earthquake at 3am this morning! I think it was more in the south of the country but I just thought you would want to know because of Bryan."

My heart sank. I thanked her, hung up, ran down the stairs as fast as my legs could take me and frantically searched the internet for news reports on an earthquake in Chile. I got a little chuckle as I listened to Elliott Yamin, a former American Idol Contestant, was reporting on his experience there. Anyway I google mapped the areas surrounding the epicenter area near Concepsion and  realized that Bryan was a good distance away but probably still felt it enough to scare him a bit. It was reported on the news that all 9 missions had reported  and that everyone is OK.

Anyway, long story short you have all heard about the 8.8 earthquake in Chile, one of the strongest ever recorded. There was a 9.6 earthquake in Chile back in the 60's so I believe  a lot of their building structures were built better than Haiti. There wasn't near the devastation.

I hope to hear from Bryan in his regular email tomorrow. I am anxious to hear of his experience.

0 remarks: