Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Kids and Cardboard

This is Baby's latest invention.

Can you guess what it is?

It's a phone.

I had torn some kind of cardboard something-or-other and as I was throwing it away in the trash bag she began screaming. I figured out that she was crying for the two cardboard pieces I had in my hand. When I handed them to her she was elated and was "piecing" them together until she came up with this...

I love the imagination of children.

I love what can be created with cardboard boxes of all shapes and sizes.

When I was a kid my mom was able to finagle some large refrigerator or washing machine boxes and boy oh boy could we make the best cardboard houses ever. (We also built some great hay huts, but that is a whole other post.)

We had a really large box from our 42 inch TV that we moved here to my mom's and the kids went to town with that after Marc and my mom cut out some windows and doors. When the cousins came over it was, again, a hit.

Imagination rocks!

And for me, as a mother of 3 children with the world's most common cause of inherited mental impairment and the most common known single gene cause of autism, it is miraculous and appreciated to see my children use their imaginations.

It makes my heart leap to see such a developmental milestone that many take for granted become a staple for my children's play.

Can imagination be called miraculous?

In my house it can.

0 remarks: