Friday, December 23, 2011

Charles Dickens said...

"It is good to be a child sometimes, and never better than at Christmas, when its mighty founder was a child Himself." 
—Charles Dickens

This is full manual, no flash no editing! I am so proud... just saying'

I ran across this quote last night as I was read through a Christmas book my dad had given me years ago. It is in Arnold Freiberg's Little Christmas Book so I was not expecting to read a quote by Charles Dickens in its opening pages.

When I read it it really struck me as now being one of my most favorite Christmas quotes. How poignant.

Charles Dickens has a way with words, as you will well know, if you have read "A Christmas Carol." He illustrates words in a way that puts you right in the scene and scent of the moment he describes. That is one movie or play I will NOT miss at Christmas time. It is such a reminder of the true meaning of Christmas. Amazing. Charles was truly inspired to write this story. And I know that so often, because of his story, we all know that to be a "Scrooge" means to be selfish or ornery at Christmas time. Interesting, though, that if you really pay attention to the story, Ebenezer Scrooge becomes one of the most loved and respected men in his town, so the fact that the word "ebenezer" also means "hymn" or song of praise, might mean that if you were to call someone an "Ebenezer" maybe it would be that they are someone who radiates the light of Christ, or Christmas.

It is also an interesting point, if you read the story, that when Marley comes to visit Scrooge he mentions that this is not the first time that he has come to visit Scrooge, but it was this time that Scrooge was able to hear him. Which says to me that Scrooge had not been ready for Marley's message before that time, but on that night something had opened Scrooges heart enough to be able to finally hear Marley's message.

Are we at a point in our lives to hear the message that is being whispered to us. Are we going to be willing to make great changes when necessary.

I hope I am.

I am so excited for Christmas!

I LOVE this time of year!

I love being able to wish total strangers a "Merry Christmas!"

0 remarks: