Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fond Memories

Finally I am taking time to blog again.

I have so much to write about, but the first thing I want to catch up on is my Grandpa's funeral.

Words, I am not sure, will be able to explain all the feelings I felt that day, but I will try my best.

I knew that the church building would be packed with family and friends.

I, however, was not prepared for the memories and the sweet feelings that packed the 2-hour long funeral services.

I was worried that I would be full of regret that I had not visited with him enough in his final years and that I would not be able to listen to all the sweet memories of him that I was not a part of.

I worried for nothing.

I listened to my aunts and uncle portray and relate stories of my Grandpa's heartaches, successes, mistakes, funny antics, and some down-right off the wall and hilarious experiences.

Mostly, though, I realized through the talks that my Grandpa Fred left a great legacy that lives on through all of his children and grandchildren. I did miss out on some of the visits I could have been part of but I, for certain, have not missed out on being part of a family full of tradition, love and service.

I enjoyed being reminded of his amazing sense of humor, his love for his kids, his love for his wife, his desire to help others and his dedication to family traditions.

I treasured learning about some of his experiences of heartache and loss, disappointment and disapproval, but, most of all, more of the stories about his love for others.

I cried a lot during the service, not because I was sad. Actually, I really wasn't sad at all. I was shedding tears because of the strong feeling of pride and family that I felt there. I watched as my mom sang with all her brothers and sisters (13 altogether) and realized that my Grandpa's dedication to family had held strong in his children. They have definitely had their ups and downs as a family, but no matter what happened in the past, they stood united at his funeral putting the past behind them and the traditions ahead of their own downfalls. It was powerful to watch 13 siblings stand in front of his casket and before their grieving mother to pay tribute to all he stood for as a husband, father and grandfather... fond memories. It put the words of the song my mom wrote so many years ago in a new light that I had never really witnessed before.

My fond memories of living home
And all the country roads I used to roam
I'll always remember living there
'Cause there's so many things that we've all shared

They are indeed fond memories.

I am so thankful to be part of such a huge family that are all part of such beautiful memories.

My mom sang to her mom with a few of her sisters

My grandma with her hair all done up for the occasion

They took my Grandpa to the gravesite in style in an antique, horse-drawn carriage 
my mom and dad by the carriage

It was so patriotic to see his casket draped in the flag and the soldiers soluting.
It was amazing to see the honor involved in the funeral services for a Veteran.

My mom was crying as I was removing her flower to place on his casket.

I hugged my mom because it is hard for both of us to say goodbye.

my mom and her sister placing their corsages on the casket

It was a beautiful site to see 14 flowers lining the top of his casket

1 remarks:

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys so darn much, sorry to hear about your grandfather.
What a lovely carriage they found to move him in. That is a beauty.
I have been absent from the blog world for a while...moving halfway across the country changed things for me.
I hope everyone is doing great.