Friday, July 13, 2018

Salt and Vigenar

No, spellcheck, I meant to type vigenar.

It's one of those Sister sayings again.

Man! I get such a kick out of her mispronounced words! She has some real doozies, but the best part is when you correct her she gets upset with you and insists that's what she is saying as she says it wrong again. We have learned the hard way that you can't laugh about this though... it is not funny to her.

Do you remember the "Persimmon" post years back? If not, you really need to brush up on your reading... go HERE... then come back... I have more to say...

Done?

OK, just thought I'd check in...

Now are you done?

OK. Perfect, now back to the vigenar.

The reason why salt and vinegar is even a term in our household would be that it is a STRONG flavor and when you have children who are sensory seeking/needy, flavors can play a huge part in satisfying that sensory. Salt and Vinegar are two of the strongest flavors there seems to be that you just can't describe other than "salt and vinegar."

Ever since Lay's (at least they are the first brand I ever knew of that made this particular flavor) came out with flavor Brother has been savoring it completely. So much so that his lips swell and get all white from all the salt and pucker! Ha!

Also, I buy 20 pounds of apples 2-3 times per week for the same reason.

Sensory input.

Granny Smith green apples are the tartest and therefore the most preferred.

But they are not always good through the year and around this time it seems they are always soft until the next fall crop comes in. So I have discovered several types of apples that our kids will eat that are crisp and tart and the winner this summer has been the JAZZ apple.

Why do I tell you all this? Well, I am pretty sure that my kids are not the only ones with sensory needs who live around here and I am positive that I am not the only mom who tries to get a good deal on groceries.

I thought I was so cool when I discovered that Smith's Food and Drug had a store brand of salt and vinegar potato chips for way less than the Lay's brand AND had even stronger vinegar flavor! Perfection! And the apples my kids always want are always 99 cents a pound and have been for the last few years. I had discovered a way to not break the bank and still satisfy the sensory tastes of my kids.

Win-win!

But, I think there is someone else in my same situation because lately I have been going and they are out of salt and vinegar chips AND hardly any JAZZ apples left (only 8 pounds which last us, maybe, two days) so I am left to choose Sour Cream and Onion chips and sift through the soft Granny Smith Apples or take a chance that the gala's will be crisp still at this time of season.

Some one else has kids like mine and have discovered my secret!

Smith's is the place for affordable sensory needy foods!

How did this get discovered?

I haven't told anyone until now.

But, I guess I am OK with it. I want to help others so I will just have to deal with the fact that I may have some competition in the realm of sensory foods.

(Sigh)

Thank you, Smith's Food and Drug, for your commitment to all of us mom out there who have children who are addicted to strong-flavored and snappy-textured foods.

I just have one request.

Can you stock more?

Because kids who are sensory needy are also very routine needy and aren't very happy when momma ain't bringin' home the bacon... or, in this case, salt and vinegar chips and Granny Smith or JAZZ apples.

Sincerely,
The Vigenar Mom

These lovely photos were captured by their Uncle Joel.
If you look closely you might see some of the left-overs of their salt and vinegar chips on their faces...

0 remarks: