Saturday, June 11, 2016

"I'm too busy leaving a legacy" —'Abe Lincoln'

Oh my goodness you guys!

Seriously! I can't believe it has been almost a month since I last blogged!

So much has happened!!

So many great things!

I'm not quite sure how to get it all in, but I guess that's the downfall of falling behind on journalling is that I can't get it all in, so you're getting the abridged version.

Sister ran in her traditional 3k at her elementary school for her 4th year in a row.

She loves to do it and she's really good at it.

I know for a fact this time because I actually ran with her the entire way... I know I was just as shocked as you are.

I was so proud of her and so was she.

Waiting for the race to begin (read her shirt if you want to understand my blog title today)

Her A.P.E. (Adaptive Physical Education) teacher ran with her the whole way too. 
She started off like a champ!

Me and my winner! I couldn't have been more proud!!

Brother was involved in his end of year choir concert. I can't say I'm really thrilled with how his choir teacher "involves" him, but I am not going to split hairs at this time and just be grateful for what he does do while in the choir and how fun it is to see him singing so happily!

He wanted to sing with the girls that night... it made me smile. He was comfortable being by his buddy.
(he's the boy on the back row)


It was great too because, for the first time this school year, both sets of grandparents were there to see his performance. They were all very proud. In fact now that I am writing about it, I really regret not getting a picture of him with all his grandparents. Those times are very special as I look back and know that rarely happened for me.

Brother has some senior friends who are in choir with him that are also his peer tutors in his Life Skills Class. It was a night full of tears for many of the seniors as they knew this was their last high school choir concert and Brother was no different as he shed tears while hugging his two best buddies who helped make his Sophomore year the best school year ever.





During the last days of school I was able to spend some fun time with Brother and his class for one of their field trips. It was such a highlight watching him with his peers and seeing him and his sense of humor. It was also a joy to talk to his teacher and aides, as they are amazingly amazing women!

This field trip we all walked to IceBerg Drive Inn for lunch. Marc even met us there.

I had the opportunity to do an interview for BYU TV for a spot about an All-Together Playground being built here in Orem. It was fun being interviewed and all, but the best part was having Brother involved. That part was the best.

You can watch the TV spot here


At Sister's school they have a traditional end-of-year school dance and I have always really enjoyed seeing her as she really gets into it and always has all moves down to a "T."


When she first entered the field I had to go sneak a "before" picture of her.  I was a little concerned when I saw her because I could tell she wasn't really happy—more nervous. She had cried a little in the morning before getting on the bus saying that she "didn't want to wear ribbons" and she "hates ribbons." So when I saw the headband she was wearing for her class dance I understood what she had meant. I also knew this was most likely the reason for her not-so-happy-look. I had an impression to just tell her she can take it off, but her entire class was wearing them and I knew that she would want to wear it because they were even if it bothered her. I just walked away hoping for the best.

Marc's parents had come to watch her dance.

I was ready with the video.

The music started and each of her classmates were joined by a peer tutor buddy to dance alongside them.

I had my camera ready to film Sister doing amazing at her dance that she had even been rehearsing in the back yard at home.

Sister got to her entrance spot and pure panic ensued.

She refused to go out to her spot for the dance.

Her buddy is a sweet girl who has been her reading buddy the whole year and is in neighborhood and is such a sweet girl, but she exceeded my expectations as a "reading buddy" that day.

When I saw that Sister was melting I stopped recording and ran over to try to see if there was anything in my bag of tricks to utilize in getting her out to perform. Her buddy stood by her the entire time as I was trying to encourage Sister and she was right by her gently encouraged her to dance with her. (I'll call her Ma)

I turned to Ma, with what may have been a red face because I could feel a lot of the parents looking at us concerned and worried and fellow students too, and told her to "just go ahead and do the dance, it's OK, I just don't think she's going to do it."

Ma turned to me and said that she was happy to stay with Sister and I walked backwards while watching this sweet 12-year-old calmly and sweetly talk Sister through it and was actually able to get her to her dance spot.

I teared up a little.

I watched as Sister held to Ma's hand firmly and tightly with panic still on her face while Ma was happily dancing with her while still encouraging.

I filmed it. It was so sweet. I'll share it one day.

I was blessed enough to have a friend and mother send me a picture that she was able to get of Sister "dancing." I treasure special friends, both to me and to our children.



I have more to share about our kids, recent road trip, beach fun, hotel stays, National Parks and backpacking and meltdowns and anxiety strewn within, but I'll save that for the next post. (which I hope will be tomorrow)

But, until I see you again, here's a picture of Ranger hanging out with all of Sister's prized animals... obviously he is in the right spot.


2 remarks:

Suzy said...

Sounds like the vacation was really fun! And I feel so cool that the pic I took made it on your blog!

Marc and Rachael said...

Suzy, I was so grateful for your photo. You are such a thoughtful and wonderful friend!